Recipe by Kaccy G.
Complete any mexican dish with these(Spanish Fritters) popular, light and crisp Spanish pastry.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup white cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- peanut oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- For cinnamon sugar: In a shallow bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon, mix thoroughly then set aside.
- For dough: In a 3 quart saucepan, add water, butter, shortening, sugar, and salt.
- Bring to a rolling boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cornmeal and flour all at once.
- Return to low heat and stir vigorously with a spoon until a ball forms.
- Remove from heat.
- Place warm dough in a mixing bowl and add the beaten eggs.
- Blend until smooth and shiny.
- In a deep skillet or Dutch oven, place 3 inches of oil and heat to 375 degrees.
- Place dough in a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip.
- (#5preferred) Pipe 8 inch strips of dough into hot oil and fry on both sides until browned and crisp.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with the cinnamon/sugar mixture.