Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Complete any mexican dish with these(Spanish Fritters) popular, light and crisp Spanish pastry.
Make and share this Churros recipe from Food.com.
- For cinnamon sugar: In a shallow bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon, mix thoroughly then set aside.
- For dough: In a 3 quart saucepan, add water, butter, shortening, sugar, and salt.
- Bring to a rolling boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cornmeal and flour all at once.
- Return to low heat and stir vigorously with a spoon until a ball forms.
- Remove from heat.
- Place warm dough in a mixing bowl and add the beaten eggs.
- Blend until smooth and shiny.
- In a deep skillet or Dutch oven, place 3 inches of oil and heat to 375 degrees.
- Place dough in a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip.
- (#5preferred) Pipe 8 inch strips of dough into hot oil and fry on both sides until browned and crisp.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with the cinnamon/sugar mixture.
Susie's comments are righ on target. I mademine using a cokie press and that large star disc.. It's also fun to use ohter disk for different shapes. Thanks KC.....Lee
My son and husband were expecting a crispier light dough, more like what they get at fast food places and Costco. Tastes good as far as the recipe goes, but not what they were hoping for. This little fact isn't stopping them from eating these fried doughs covered in cinnamon sugar, but I'll keep looking for a recipe that makes them happy. Thanks for sharing. I think part of the problem is also the size of these things... the star disk on the cookie press I have (pampered chef) made these much too thick, so I don't want to penalize the recipe for what was probably our own fault. ;-)
My 9-yr old son asked if we could make churros, which. I had never made before. This recipe seemed simple and straightforward. It reminded me of cream puff batter. They turned out great. I had to adjust the temperature a little, because they cook fast! My son loved them, he said they were better than the ones we buy at Busch Gardens! Thanks for sharing the recipe.