Recipe by chef heather in cullowheee, NC
This is a long time favorite in México--crisp and addictive. They are easy and simple to make!
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- canola oil (for deep frying)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons mexican cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium sauce pan combine water and butter and 1 tbs sugar and the salt. Bring to boil over medium heat. As the mixture comes to a boil, add flour all at once and cook, stirring until the batter comes together and away from the sauce pan. Remove from heat and let cool for up to 3 minutes. Add the eggs and beat with an electric mixer until the dough well blended. The dough will be thick.
- Pour enough oil into a deep fryer of fairly deep frying pan at least 3 inches and heat to 350 degrees.
- Spoon dough into a pastry bag with a 1/2 in star shaped tip or if you don't have a round tip works just as well. When oil reaches temp, pipe out 2 or 3 inch churros right into the hot oil (leaving plenty of room between each churro to evenly cook. Fry approximately 4 minutes or till just golden brown on both sides. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel, then roll in cinnamon and sugar topping.
- For best results, serve as soon as possible.