Recipe by Sue Lau
Warm and hearty, this will make you feel comforted on a chilly day. Great to keep handy for lunches too.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 quart beef stock or 1 quart broth
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (try to use russet or white potatoes)
- 2 tomatoes, peeled,seeded and chopped
- 2 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook onion in the oil in a large saucepan for 5-7 minutes or until tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients except salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot.