Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This soup is one of the three soup suggested in the Seven Day Diet from A-list diet (Food Doctor). The two other soup recipes are also posted - Clear soup and Tomato and rosemary soup. This vegetable-based soup provides your body with a high degree of easily absorbed nutrients, together with vital fiber and liquid. It will also help to promote better digestive health, which is the main goal of the Food Doctor eating plan
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 lb pumpkin or 1⁄2 lb winter squash such as acorns or 1⁄2 lb butternut squash, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1⁄2 small green cabbage, shredded
- 1 small head broccoli, broken into florets
- 1 stick celery, sliced
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 medium leek, finely sliced
- 6 cups fresh chicken or 6 cups vegetable stock or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons yeast free bouillon powder to 6 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- Put the seeds in a small, heavy pan and toast over medium heat for a few minutes until lightly browned.
- Gently heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan and soften the onion and garlic for five minutes.
- Add the rest of the vegetables and seeds.
- Heat them together in the oil for another five minutes or so.
- Add just enough stock to cover the vegetables and simmer for ten minutes.
- Add the remaining stock and the bay leaf.
- Season with black pepper and simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes until all vegetables are cooked.
- Store the remaining portions you want to keep in the refrigerator or freezer.