Recipe by Zoe
This is a quick and simple soup which has proved a good standby meal over the years. You can substitute the leek for celery.
- 3 -4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 -2 carrot, scraped and cubed
- 2 leeks, rinsed and sliced
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 pints vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 pint milk
- fresh ground black pepper
- grated cheddar cheese, to serve
- chopped parsley or chives, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, then add all the prepared vegetables.
- Stir to coat and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the pan and leave the vegetables to sweat over a low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the vegetable stock and the milk.
- Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down low and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked.
- Check the seasoning before serving.
- Serve with chopped herbs, grated cheese and crusty bread.