Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
Recipe by Richard Swearinger
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin rings
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup dry green lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 lb whole small mushroom, quartered
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 red cabbage head, sliced into strips
- In a dutch oven heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 4-5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in lentils, cook and stir 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms, carrots, celery, stock, water, salt and pepper. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 25 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Divide among soup bowl; top with copped cabbage.