1/1 Photo of Chunky Vegetable Lasagna
1 hr 40 mins
Roxygirl in Colorado's Note:
From Seattle's take out shop "Pasta by Request" this is my all-time favorite recipe! It raised $100 dollars for our school's Silent Auction (along with salad and cheesecake). It has a chunky vegetable red sauce and a creamy Parmesan white sauce. It uses feta and mozzarella cheeses. It is very elegant but a real comfort dish. Cut leftovers into squares; freezes great already baked (cut into squares and put in Ziplock freezer bags) or unbaked! Recipe requires Veggie Marinara Sauce. It makes it pretty easy if you make the red sauce the day before and use no-boil noodles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup cream or 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 pinch thyme
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch basil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, plus
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons romano cheese
- 12 cooked noodles
- 1Mix together mozzarella and feta cheeses and set aside.
- 2To make bechamel sauce:heat milk, cream, and spices together in microwave safe bowl and heat until near boil.
- 3Melt butter in large saucepan.
- 4Add flour and cook for 2 minutes on medium-low heat.
- 5Gradually stir in hot milk and cream mixture.
- 6Raise heat to medium-high and continue stirring until mixture is smooth and thick, about 5 minutes.
- 7Add Parmesan and Romano cheeses and whisk until smooth.
- 8To make topping: mix together bread crumbs, Parmesan, and parsley.
- 9TO ASSEMBLE AND BAKE:.
- 10Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 11Spread 3 tablespoons of the Giardiniera Sauce in bottom of 9x13 pan.
- 12Put in one layer of lasagna noodles.
- 13Spoon on 3 cups of sauce.
- 14Spread a scant cup of the bechamel across the sauce in two diagonals (no need to spread evenly at this point).
- 15Top with 2 cups of cheese mixture.
- 16Lay on another layer of lasagna noodles and repeat, using same amounts of sauce, bechamel, and cheese.
- 17Top with last layer of noodles, and with fingertips, press lightly to distribute bechamel smoothly in the layers (use every bit of white sauce in pan).
- 18Using long narrow metal spatula, "frost" top layer of noodles with remaining bechamel.
- 19Be sure to completely cover noodles so that they do not dry out in baking.
- 20Sprinkle evenly with bread crumb mixture.
- 21Bake lasagna at 400°F for about 60 minutes or until sauce bubble around the edges and top is nicely browned.
- 22If top browns too quickly, cover with foil.
- 23If baking lasagna straight from the freezer, add about 20 minutes to cooking time.
- 24Once out of oven, let lasagna set up for about 20 minutes before cutting.
- 25Serves 8-10.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chunky Vegetable Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (132 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 404.1
- Calories from Fat 277
- Total Fat 30.8 g
- Saturated Fat 19.0 g
- Cholesterol 106.4 mg
- Sodium 708.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 18.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: