Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Yahoo Group Files
- 5 lbs pears, preferably Bartlett
- grated zest of a lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 16 ounces frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 2 cups water
- Peel, quarter and core the pears.
- Chop them in small cubes and toss them in a bowl with the lemon zest and lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan combine the apple juice concentrate with the vanilla bean and the water.
- Boil it over moderate heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove the vanilla bean and add the pears and their liquid.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over moderate heat and cook, stirring frequently, about 45 minutes, or until the mixture thickens enough to hold its shape on a spoon and has reached nearly 220 degrees F. on a candy thermometer.
- Spoon the jam into prepared jars leaving a 1/4" headspace.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Adjust time according to your altitude.