Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon harissa (Hreesa/Harissa (Red Pepper Spice))
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 fennel bulb, diced, feathery fronds reserved (optional)
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 cups fish stock or 6 cups water
- 4 1⁄2 lbs mixed fish, including shellfish, prepared
- 4 ripe tomatoes, peeled, deseeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh cilantro, minced
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh parsley, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, then fry the onion until softened but not colored.
- Add the garlic and red pepper, cooked for 2-3 minutes then stir in the Harissa, spices, fennel, potatoes, lemon juice, and broth or water.
- Bring to a boil then simmer for about 20 minutes until the potatoes are almost cooked.
- Add the fish, tomatoes, herbs, seasoning, and water as necessary, and cook gently until the fish is tender.
- Serve sprinkled with the reserved fennel fronds and accompanied by good bread.