Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Keep a batch of this delicious homemade sauce on hand for adding to pasta dishes and ratatouille. This sauce will keep in the fridge for several days. It also freezes very well.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 lbs tomatoes, chopped
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 finger fresh jalapeno chilie, finely chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, leaves only, finely chopped
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan and cook the onions slowly until soft and caramelized.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes, sugar, chilli and a small pinch of salt and cook gently for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro.