Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 12 mins
This recipe was a 2006 Southern Living Cook-Off finalist. To cut down on cooking time, use corn from the frozen section of your grocery store.
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) canpeeled whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons domino granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon mccormick gourmet collection mediterranean basil leaves
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup whipping cream, divided
- 3 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 3 ears fresh corn, husks removed
- crisco nonstick cooking spray
- fresh basil sprig
- Melt 1 tablespoons butter with oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add shallots, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes or until shallots are tender.
- Stir in garlic and tomato paste, and sauté 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, sugar, and basil, and sauté 3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; uncover and simmer, stirring often, 30 minutes.
- Stir in 3/4 cup cream, and simmer, stirring often, 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine crumbled blue cheese and remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a small microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave at HIGH 25 seconds or until cheese melts.
- Whisk until well blended.
- Brush mixture evenly onto corn.
- Coat a cold cooking grate with cooking spray, and place on grill over medium-high heat (350° to 400°).
- Arrange corn on cooking grate, and grill 12 minutes, turning every 3 minutes or until done.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Hold each grilled cob upright on a cutting board, and carefully cut downward, cutting kernels from cob.
- Discard cobs.
- Stir kernels into soup.
- Ladle soup into bowls, and drizzle evenly with remaining cream.
- Garnish, if desired.