Prep 35 mins
Cook 40 mins
Chunky Tomato Cheese Pie
- 5 tomatoes, divided
- 9 inches pastry shells
- 2 cups cheddar cheese cubes
- 1⁄2 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, in thin strips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut 4 of tomatoes into cubes; slice remaining tomato.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out pastry; fit into a 9-inch pie pan; flute edges.
- In a large bowl combine tomato cubes, cheese cubes, bread crumbs, flour, sugar and salt. Toss until well blended.
- Spoon into pie shell.
- Bake 30 minutes until cheese cubes melt and tomato cubes are soft.
- Remove from oven and garnish with tomato slices.
- Add cheese strips.
- Return to oven.
- Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and tomatoes are soft. Cut into wedges and serve.
We had company over the weekend and my wife decided to make this. It was enjoyed by the whole lot of us and I look forward to having it many more times!
This was absolutely delicious and very easy to make--a terrific combination!