If you make this pie with garden-grown tomatoes, you will think you are dining in heaven, this is so good!
- prepared pastry dough (to fit a for a 9-inch pie plate)
- 4 large ripe firm tomatoes, cut into cubes
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 2 1⁄2 cups old cheddar cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- cheddar cheese slice, cut into strips
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Fit pastry into a 9-inch pie plate and flute edges.
- In a small bowl mix together the bread crumbs, about 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, flour and sugar.
- In a bowl toss together the tomato cubes, cheddar cheese cubes, seasoned salt and pepper.
- Add in the bread crumb mixture; toss until well combined.
- Transfer the tomato mixture into the prepared pie pastry in the pie plate.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the cheese cubes melt and the tomato cubes are soft.
- Remove from oven and top with tomato slices, overlapping slices if necessary.
- Sprinkle the tomato slices with black pepper, salt and about 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese.
- Top with the cheddar cheese slices in a decorative pattern.
- Return to oven and bake for about 10 minutes longer.
- Cut in wedges and serve.