Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is very easy to make and can be prepared in a hurry. In under an hour, we made the soup and ate the entire pot. It is great served with a grilled cheese with brie and caramelized onions. The red pepper flakes are strongly encouraged because they add a mild heat that makes the soup feel even more lovely and warm.
- 9.85 ml olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 (822.13 g) canpeeled diced tomatoes
- 170.09 g can tomato paste
- 946.36 ml vegetable broth (I use Savory Choice liquid broth concentrate in Vegetable) or 946.36 ml chicken broth (I use Savory Choice liquid broth concentrate in Vegetable)
- 1.62 ml garlic powder
- 2.46 ml ground black pepper
- 1.23 ml Italian herb seasoning
- 1.23 ml salt
- 59.14 ml fresh basil, coarsely sliced, divided
- 0.59 ml red pepper flakes (or whatever you think a dash is)
- 78.07 ml 2% low-fat milk or 78.07 ml nonfat milk
- 14.79 ml parmesan cheese
- 2.46 ml cornstarch (optional)
- fresh parmesan cheese, wedge (for Parmesan Crisp)
- In a medium-large (at least 4 quarts) saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and cook until translucent.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add garlic powder, black pepper, italian herb seasoning, salt, and half of fresh basil.
- Continue cooking at a light boil for about 10 to 15 minutes. While soup is cooking, prepare Parmesan Crisps (see below).
- Reduce heat to medium and add cheese, milk and red pepper flakes.
- Simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- If you want the soup to be thicker, either continue cooking for another 10 minutes or add corn starch.
- When you are satisfied with the thickness of the soup, add the reserved basil.
- Serve in small bowls and top with a parmesan crisp.
- ~~Parmesan Crisp~~.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Grate fresh parmesan cheese and form small, slightly flattened mounds of cheese on parchment paper.
- Bake for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Immediately remove parchment paper from baking sheet and transfer cheese rounds to a wire rack to cool completely (about 5 minutes) before eating.