This recipe is very easy to make and can be prepared in a hurry. In under an hour, we made the soup and ate the entire pot. It is great served with a grilled cheese with brie and caramelized onions. The red pepper flakes are strongly encouraged because they add a mild heat that makes the soup feel even more lovely and warm.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans peeled diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 4 cups vegetable broth (I use Savory Choice liquid broth concentrate in Vegetable) or 4 cups chicken broth (I use Savory Choice liquid broth concentrate in Vegetable)
- 1/3 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, coarsely sliced, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or whatever you think a dash is)
- 1/3 cup 2% low-fat milk or 1/3 cup nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch (optional)
- fresh parmesan cheese, wedge (for Parmesan Crisp)
- 1In a medium-large (at least 4 quarts) saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- 2Add chopped onion and cook until translucent.
- 3Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and broth.
- 4Bring to a boil.
- 5Add garlic powder, black pepper, italian herb seasoning, salt, and half of fresh basil.
- 6Continue cooking at a light boil for about 10 to 15 minutes. While soup is cooking, prepare Parmesan Crisps (see below).
- 7Reduce heat to medium and add cheese, milk and red pepper flakes.
- 8Simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- 9If you want the soup to be thicker, either continue cooking for another 10 minutes or add corn starch.
- 10When you are satisfied with the thickness of the soup, add the reserved basil.
- 11Serve in small bowls and top with a parmesan crisp.
- 12~~Parmesan Crisp~~.
- 13Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 14Grate fresh parmesan cheese and form small, slightly flattened mounds of cheese on parchment paper.
- 15Bake for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- 16Immediately remove parchment paper from baking sheet and transfer cheese rounds to a wire rack to cool completely (about 5 minutes) before eating.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chunky Tomato Basil Soup With Parmesan Crisp
Serving Size: 1 (209 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 80.6
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 1.8 mg
- Sodium 349.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 3.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: