Recipe by AngelaTN
This was served at my church's annual Soup Night. Heavenly! I think I ate 3 bowls all by myself.
Top Review by peteypie00
I just made this soup about 15 min. ago and had to give it rave reviews!! I've had a craving for a great tomato soup and this definitely hit the spot! Made a couple minor adjustments: no red pepper in the house so added some chopped carrot, added a sprinkle of red pepper flakes and used a little milk to make up for not having enough cream. Also added a tiny bit more sugar, which was probably to make up from the sweetness missing from the pepper. An immersion blender is what I would recommend to puree...be careful regardless. Hot soup is not fun to wear!
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 59.14 ml butter, cubed
- 3 (1233.20 g) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 14.79 ml tomato paste
- 177.44 ml basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 14.78 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 354.88 ml heavy whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan, saute the celery, onion and red pepper in butter for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in basil, sugar, salt and pepper; cool slightly.
- Transfer half of soup mixture to a blender.
- While processing, gradually add cream; process until pureed.
- Return to pan; heat through but do not boil.