Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Very easy and fast to make. You may use rice instead of the couscous if you wish.
- 1 lb lean ground beef (500 g)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (15 mL)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 1⁄2 sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons water (25 mL)
- 1 tablespoon paprika, ground
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (5 mL)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (1 mL)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (796 mL)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (25 mL)
- 3⁄4 cup green olives, sliced (175 mL)
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander (25 mL) or 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped (25 mL)
- 2 cups cooked couscous, hot (500 mL)
- In large skillet, sauté beef over medium-high heat, breaking up with spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to plate. Drain fat from skillet.
- Add oil to pan; fry onion and garlic over medium heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add carrots, red pepper, water, paprika, ginger, cumin, cinnamon, salt and hot pepper flakes; fry, stirring often, until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes.
- Return beef and any juices to skillet. Add tomatoes and tomato paste; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in olives and coriander; heat through, about 1 minute. Serve over hot couscous. Serves 4.
- Canadian Living Magazine: July 2006.