Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I came across this recipe while responding to a request in the forums. It came via the the Ask Jan Norris blog, and originally from a post on ChowHound. This pie uses pumpkin sliced as apples, and not as a puree. I hope to make it sometime, as I think I might like it better than the traditional type of pie. I edited the original recipe a bit for clarity. Update:: I've made this a few times and have revised the recipe extensively.
- Line a pie pan with bottom crust and dust with flour. (I used a 9 in but I think an 8in would be ok with 4 cups pumpkin).
- Put the pumpkin slices in a medium bowl.
- Combine the water and vanilla extract and sprinkle over the pumpkin slices, mixing to distribute. I used 2 tbl and that was enough.
- Combine the cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, salt and flour in a small bowl, mixing thoroughly to distribute the ingredients evenly.
- Pour over the pumpkin slices and mix thoroughly. Turn into the pie pan.
- Dot with butter and cover with top crust.
- Bake in a 350 deg oven for 1 hour. Mine baked for an 1 1/4 hours.
- Note: I tagged this for the Cooking Mania tag game, where you can tag one of your own, and really liked it. However, I am going to make this again, increasing the amount of pumpkin. I've already revised the instructions, which really made no sense in spots. Made this last night, all gone already. After making again: I sliced the pumpkin thicker, which I liked better - about 1/2 in thick. I think I like it better without the vanilla, so have made that optional.
Turned out extremely soupy. After 1 hour in the oven, the top crust was burning and the pumpkin wasn't cooked and though I only used 2 tablespoons of water, the inside was mostly liquid. I don't recommend this recipe. Very disappointed.