Recipe by Mom2Rose
Source: Gourmet Magazine, February 2008 issue
Top Review by AcadiaTwo
WOW! So tasty! I had some left over crab from making crab cakes that I wanted to use up, so I added it to the soup. Your recipe is the perfect starting point for seafood chowder! Made for "RECIPE SWAP #42 - July 2010 in Australia / New Zealand forum.
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook vegetables in butter in a 5-6 quart heavy pot, covered, over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown and stick to bottom of pot, about 15 minutes.
- Add water, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer 3 cups soup to a blender with milk and blend until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids).
- Return to pot, then stir in dill and salt and pepper to taste.