Prep 35 mins
Cook 30 mins
Good served with bread or in a bread bowl.
Make and share this Chunky Potato Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 3 medium red potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 small onion
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- crushed red pepper flakes
- ground black pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cooked ham, cubed
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Cook the potatoes in the 2 cups water until tender.
- Drain, reserving 1 cup of the liquid.
- Add more water if necessary to measure 1 cup.
- Set potatoes aside.
- Peel and chop onion.
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion to saucepan and cook stirring frequently until onion is tender and translucent, not brown.
- Add flour to saucepan and season with pepper flakes and pepper to taste.
- Cook 3-4 minutes.
- Gradually add potatoes, reserved liquid, milk and sugar to saucepan.
- Add cheese and ham.
- Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
Kann, this is Delicious Potato soup. We like the Ham and Cheese in it. I add a can of evaporated milk as part of the milk. It was so good and creamy. Served it with a green salad.
A really good, easy potato soup! My poor family is sick and don't have much of an appetite, so I wanted to make them something easy and comforting. I fried 3 slices of diced bacon with the onion and it gave everything a nice smoky flavor. My only complaint is I have no idea how this is supposed to make 12 servings! My DH & I and our 2 young kids each had a serving and there was only one left over.
I found this recipe a wonderful "base". It needed a little something else. I did not use the ham or sugar and used only 1.5 cups of skim milk and 1.5 cups of fat free chicken broth. Also to cut the calories just a bit more I used a reduced fat butter but, only 1/2 the amount and then used a bit of cold pressed olive oil. Also added green onion, parsely, and 2% cheese. And just to give it that "hmmm what's in there" flair I put some fresh nutmeg in it! OHG it is wonderful!