Recipe by AmyZoe
This is another one of my favorite potato soup recipes. It's similar to some of the recipes already posted, but a little different so I am posting this too. Enjoy!
Top Review by **Tinkerbell**
As my toddler DD says, "Wow! Wow! Wow!" This soup was delicious. The only change was not stirring cheese into the whole batch as DH & DD can't eat it, but DS & I loaded our bowls with it. If we could give this more stars we would. It's easy, simple ingredients & such good comfort food. I served it with small sourdough rolls & have already been requested to make it again. Thanks for sharing your recipe, AmyZoe! Made & enjoyed for the Photo Forum's January 2009 Belly Warmers - Soups & Stews tag game.
- 5 medium potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 small onion
- 1⁄2 cup chives
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- crushed red pepper flakes
- ground black pepper
- 3 cups milk or 3 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup crumbled bacon
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1" cubes.
- Bring water to a boil in large saucepan and add potatoes.
- Cook until tender and drain reserving liquid.
- Set aside potatoes and measure 1 cup cooking liquid (adding water if necessary) and set aside.
- Peel and finely chop onion and chives.
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and chives to saucepan and cook, stirring frequently until tender, but not brown.
- Add flour to saucepan.
- Season with red pepper and black pepper to taste.
- Cook 3 to 4 minutes.
- Gradually add potatoes, reserved 1 cup cooking liquid, milk/cream, and sugar to onion/chive mixture in saucepan.
- Stir well and add cheese and bacon.
- Simmer on low heat for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Serve with fresh chives, cheese, and bacon.