Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is another one of my favorite potato soup recipes. It's similar to some of the recipes already posted, but a little different so I am posting this too. Enjoy!
- 5 medium potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 small onion
- 1⁄2 cup chives
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- crushed red pepper flakes
- ground black pepper
- 3 cups milk or 3 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup crumbled bacon
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1" cubes.
- Bring water to a boil in large saucepan and add potatoes.
- Cook until tender and drain reserving liquid.
- Set aside potatoes and measure 1 cup cooking liquid (adding water if necessary) and set aside.
- Peel and finely chop onion and chives.
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and chives to saucepan and cook, stirring frequently until tender, but not brown.
- Add flour to saucepan.
- Season with red pepper and black pepper to taste.
- Cook 3 to 4 minutes.
- Gradually add potatoes, reserved 1 cup cooking liquid, milk/cream, and sugar to onion/chive mixture in saucepan.
- Stir well and add cheese and bacon.
- Simmer on low heat for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Serve with fresh chives, cheese, and bacon.
As my toddler DD says, "Wow! Wow! Wow!" This soup was delicious. The only change was not stirring cheese into the whole batch as DH & DD can't eat it, but DS & I loaded our bowls with it. If we could give this more stars we would. It's easy, simple ingredients & such good comfort food. I served it with small sourdough rolls & have already been requested to make it again. Thanks for sharing your recipe, AmyZoe! Made & enjoyed for the Photo Forum's January 2009 Belly Warmers - Soups & Stews tag game.