1 hr 5 mins
Taken from Grandma's Kitchen, posted for safekeeping. To make this a more filling meal, serve with fresh homemade bread. For an interesting twist, cut the tops off of small, round loaves of bread, and remove the inside. Serve soup inside "bread bowl."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- 2Bring water to a boil in large saucepan.
- 3Add potatoes and cook until tender.
- 4Drain, reserving liquid.
- 5Set aside potatoes.
- 6Measure 1 cup cooking liquid, adding water, if necessary. Set aside.
- 7Peel and finely chop onion.
- 8Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
- 9Add onion to saucepan; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent and tender, but not brown.
- 10Add flour to saucepan; season with pepper flakes and black pepper to taste.
- 11Cook 3 to 4 minutes.
- 12Gradually add potatoes, reserved 1 cup cooking liquid, milk and sugar to onion mixture in saucepan; stir well.
- 13Add cheese and ham.
- 14Simmer over low heat 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 15Stor leftovers, covered, in refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chunky Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (185 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 181.4
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 36.6 mg
- Sodium 119.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 8.6 g