Recipe by cellogirl2
Taken from Grandma's Kitchen, posted for safekeeping. To make this a more filling meal, serve with fresh homemade bread. For an interesting twist, cut the tops off of small, round loaves of bread, and remove the inside. Serve soup inside "bread bowl."
- 3 medium red potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 small onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- crushed red pepper flakes
- ground black pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed cooked ham
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Bring water to a boil in large saucepan.
- Add potatoes and cook until tender.
- Drain, reserving liquid.
- Set aside potatoes.
- Measure 1 cup cooking liquid, adding water, if necessary. Set aside.
- Peel and finely chop onion.
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion to saucepan; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent and tender, but not brown.
- Add flour to saucepan; season with pepper flakes and black pepper to taste.
- Cook 3 to 4 minutes.
- Gradually add potatoes, reserved 1 cup cooking liquid, milk and sugar to onion mixture in saucepan; stir well.
- Add cheese and ham.
- Simmer over low heat 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stor leftovers, covered, in refrigerator.