Prep 35 mins
Cook 30 mins
Good hearty soup to warm you up on a chilly day! I think this is a quick & easy recipe. I have been making it for years and have never had one complain & I love to eat it the next day for left overs. I got this recipe from my old boss on a cold winter day when I had a cold and it just warmed me up. I hope you enjoy it as much as me. =)
- 3 -4 medium red potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 small onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- crushed red pepper flakes
- ground black pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed cooked ham
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Bring water to a boil in large saucepan. Add potatoes and cook until tender. Drain, reserving liquid. Set aside potatoes. Measure 1 cup cooking liquid, adding water if necessary; set aside.
- Peel and finely chop onion. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion to saucepan; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent and tender, but not brown.
- Add flour to saucepan; season with pepper flakes and black pepper to taste. Cook 3-4 minutes
- Gradually add potatoes, reserved 1 cup cooking liquid, milk and sugar to onion mixture in saucepan; stir well. Add cheese and ham. Simmer over low heat 30 mins, stirring frequently.
- Enjoy! =).