Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My potato salad is often requested because it's chunky and not "mashed" potato salad. It is also downright yummy! The secret is to mix together the dressing part before adding it to the cut ingredients.
- 8 small-med red potatoes
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped (preferably sweet)
- 2 -3 gherkins, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup salad dressing (Miracle Whip)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- - Cook potatoes in a large pot of salted water - about 30-45 minutes or until tender. (do not peel - cook with skins on).
- - Cook eggs in a pot of salted water until done - about 20 minutes.
- - Drain potatoes and eggs and allow to cool enough to handle. Remove skins from potatoes and shell the eggs.
- - Cut the potatoes into about 1" cubes and place in a large bowl. Chop the eggs and add them to the potatoes.
- - In a separate bowl combine the chopped/minced onion and gherkins and all remaining ingredients (except the potatoes and eggs).
- - Fold the "dressing" into the potatoes and eggs just to cover - don't over mix.
- - Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow flavors to meld. Stir once more before serving.
I served this for friends at a backyard BBQ and they loved it! Mixing the "wet" ingredients together before mixing with the potatoes really made a difference. Will definitely make this again!
Dropped by to say that mashed potato salad is just plain silly.