Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I like a thick, chunky pizza sauce with more flavors than just tomato. I couldn't find a recipe like this, so I combined bits from two or three others and made my own.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red bell peppers or 1 small green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 5 clove garlic, pressed
- 793.78 g can crushed tomatoes
- 78.07 ml dry red wine
- 14.79 ml dried Italian herb seasoning (I like McCormick’s Italian Seasoning blend, but you can use any combination of dried herbs like marj)
- 7.39 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 1.23 ml fennel seed, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2.46 ml salt
- black pepper
- 9.85 ml brown sugar
- Heat oil in a dutch oven.
- Saute onions, peppers and garlic, stirring often, until soft.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer gently, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring often.
- Makes about 4 cups (enough for two 15" pizzas).
- I usually make one pizza and freeze the other half for next time.
Great taste and easy to make! Love it just as it is.