I like a thick, chunky pizza sauce with more flavors than just tomato. I couldn't find a recipe like this, so I combined bits from two or three others and made my own.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red bell peppers or 1 small green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 5 clove garlic, pressed
- 793.78 g can crushed tomatoes
- 78.07 ml dry red wine
- 14.79 ml dried Italian herb seasoning (I like McCormick’s Italian Seasoning blend, but you can use any combination of dried herbs like marj)
- 7.39 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 1.23 ml fennel seed, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2.46 ml salt
- black pepper
- 9.85 ml brown sugar
- 1Heat oil in a dutch oven.
- 2Saute onions, peppers and garlic, stirring often, until soft.
- 3Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce heat and simmer gently, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring often.
- 5Makes about 4 cups (enough for two 15" pizzas).
- 6I usually make one pizza and freeze the other half for next time.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chunky Pizza Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (1114 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 159.3
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 720.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 11.7 g
- Protein 2.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried Italian herb seasoning