Recipe by WI Cheesehead
This is our favorite way to make applesauce. It comes from the book, "Baby Let's Eat" for heatlthy cooking for both baby and family. The pears give it a bit of a crunch, even though we don't leave the chunks. We puree it smooth. And there's no sugar in this recipe. We usu. leave out the mace and it tastes fine.
- 3 mcintosh apples, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 3 ripe pears, peeled, cored and quartered
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground mace
- 1⁄8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients in a heavy saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced to a chunky sauce, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, cool, and refrigerate until needed.
- You can also freeze in ice cube trays. Keep frozen cubes in a plastic bag so you can remove one portion at a time.