Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is from the 2004 TOH cookbook. It was submitted by Rebecca Baird. I have not tried it yet but wanted to submit it for safe keeping - waiting on summer and juicy ripe Fredicksburg peaches!
- 7 medium peaches (2 to 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- Drop peaches in boiling water for 1 minutes or until peel has softened. Immediately dip fruit in ice water. Peel and chop peaches.
- In a lg saucepan, combine peaches, sugar and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Mash peaches. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water, let stand for 2 minutes. Remove peach mixture from heat; stir in gelatin mixture until dissolved.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then pour into jars. Refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.
For us this is definitely not the season for great peaches, so I used a similar amount of frozen ones then followed the recipe from there! Definitely made a great tasting peach spread, & we found it great not only over waffles but also slices of toasted whole grain & nutty bread! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adopted orphans in the current Pick A Chef]