Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I purchased a onion and garlic paste years ago in California and tried to duplicate and I think I finally have. It is very strong in taste and flavor. I throw it in with margerine or butter as a quick sauce for pasta. But I use quite frequently.
- 946.36 ml small chunks white onions, not diced but about 1 inch pieces
- 236.59 ml water
- 15 whole fresh garlic cloves, peeled, separated and smashed
- 44.37 ml cilantro leaves
- 59.16 ml olive oil
- 29.58 ml basil leaves
- 29.58 ml garlic wine vinegar
- 4.92 ml salt or 4.92 ml salt substitute
- Put the onions and water in medium saucepan.
- and simmer about 8 minutes.Take off burner.
- Put garlic,cilantro,olive oil, basil,vinegar,and salt in blender and pulse until blended.
- Put blended ingredients into saucepan with the cooked onions , stir and simmer about 10 minutes more , stir constantly. Do not burn. Cool and refrigerate. I refrigerate 24 hours, the flavors seem to intensify.
- Note: I make enough to hot pack in 1/2 pint jars.Make sure the paste is very hot and make sure your jars are hot as well as the seals. Then I can use any time.