Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This soup can taste different every time you make it depending on your choice of mushrooms. For sure, you will enjoy it.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 4 cups fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, in
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- In a medium saucepan, ,melt butter; add oil.
- Sauté onions, garlic and carrots, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in mushrooms,sauté a few minutes.
- Add chicken both, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Bring to aboil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Stir in cornstarch mixture.
- Using a hand blender process mixture; don’t over purée leaving in some chunks.
- At this point you can refrigerate the soup and finish it off the next day.
- Just before serving, reheat soup until very hot.
- Stir in sherry and cream; simmer for 2 minutes.
Very good soup. I used all white button mushrooms, 3 cloves of garlic, added a chicken bouillon cube and used cognac instead of sherry. We felt the soup needed more salt. It also had a layer of fat on top, so the next time I make it, I would greatly cut down on the amount of butter and olive oil used. Made for ZWT6.
I wasn't crazy about this. Made the recipe exactly as directed but it was a little dull to me. Thank you though.
AWESOME! I used a combination of portabella, button, and cremini mushrooms. I made it the other night, and will be making it again today. I will be making a simple Roux this time to thicken it up a bit, and I added about 4 pieces of bacon when I made it for the first time, let it saute withe onion, garlic, olive oil, butter and carrots. Thanks for the recipe, this is certainly a keeper.