Recipe by *Parsley*
This is my absolute favorite mushroom soup! I came up with this recipe after reading a similar recipe in a magazine....I added more stuff...especially mushrooms! there's NO pureeing, so it's really chunky. You can use virtually any combo of mushrooms, but the button and baby bellas have been my favorite so far. Prep time includes chopping all ingredients plus cooking and stirring.
Top Review by Ms*Bindy
I really enjoy a good mushroom soup! I thought that the addition of the shredded carrots made this soup different from other mushroom soups. I admit to cutting way back on the butter....I am wathing my cholesterol. I also had to skip the tarragon, because that is one herb that I never have on hand.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2⁄3 cup shredded carrot
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lb fesh baby portabella mushrooms, chopped (or shitakes)
- 5 cups beef broth or 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup light cream
- 2 cups evaporated 2% milk
- 1⁄2 cup shredded fresh parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 tablespoon parsley (plus extra for garnish, if desired)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot over med-high heat, melt butter. Add onions, garlic and carrots and cook until onions and carrots are tender. Reduce heat to med-low.
- Add the mushrooms; cook for about 8 minutes, stirring occassionally, or until mushrooms are tender.
- Add broth, cream, milk, cheese, salt, pepper, tarragon and parsley. Cook over med-low heat until heated through.
- Serve and garnish soup with extra parsley flakes; if desired.
- For vegetarian use vegetable broth.