Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
For pasta, steak, whatever stirs your imagination. From Food Everyday issue 9.
Make and share this Chunky Mushroom Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 ounce dried mushroom, rinsed
- 4 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs small white button mushrooms, halved
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry or 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Soak dried mushrooms in water for about 30 minute
- Drain thoroughly, reserving liquid.
- Chop roughly.
- In a large skillet, heat oil.
- Add onion, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minute.
- Then add garlic, stirring constantly. Heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add fresh mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until juices are released, about 10 minutes.
- Saute mushrooms at a higher temperature until juices evaporate and mushrooms brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add dried mushrooms, thyme, sherry and tomato paste. Continue cooking until pan is dry, about 2 minutes.
- Pour in reserved mushroom liquid. Simmer until sauce thickens, about 25 minutes.
- Stir in the vinegar.
I used dried shiitake mushrooms. The button mushrooms were large so I sliced them. I added diced celery and bell peppers. Used fresh thyme. This would be great as an appetizer on fresh crusty bread slices. I put in a wrap and enjoyed it!