Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
I love mushrooms and this soup is quite good
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package white button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup barley
- salt and black pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add mushrooms and onions and cook stirring for about 8 Minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir in the flour.
- Add the broth in a steady stream, mixing continuously to blend with the flour.
- Add Barley, Bay Leaf and simmer on low, covered, for 30-40 minutes until the barley is cooked.
- Discard bayleaf and season to taste.
I quadrupled the recipe. My supermarket had mushrooms on sale...so I took advantage of the bargain. Being Ukrainian, I was raised on anything mushrooms. I gave some to my brother, whose wife only makes soup out of a can, he raved about it!!!
I too, tweaked the recipe. I added seasoned salt, garlic powder and used butter. A keeper! Thanx KZB
Delicious soup. Incredibly easy recipe for such good results. I did add at least an extra cup of broth. I will be making this many more times. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
This was a tasty easy recipe to prepare for lunch. I think I prefer beef stock instead of chicken, but it was still good as is, Thanks!