Recipe by yogiclarebear
Felt like Mexican, but not really...so I came up with this! Servings are hearty. Serve in taco shells or tortillas with mozzarella, parmesan, and ricotta cheeses, olives, and more fresh veggies! I use extra lean turkey to keep the fat lower. Be sure to use a large skillet, or even a stock pot, as this makes a lot.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs lean ground turkey
- 2 medium zucchini, diced (2 cups)
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 (1 ounce) package Italian salad dressing mix
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (or more to taste)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, mix diced tomatoes and Italian dressing mix. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet heat 1/2 tsp of oil over medium heat. Add ground turkey, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste, and cook through until no longer pink. Remove to a bowl.
- Heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onions, and peppers. Cook about 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini and mushrooms. Cook for about 7 minutes, until zucchini is softened.
- Stir in ground turkey, and then tomato mixture and broth. Mix well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer about 7 minutes.