Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Wonderful hearty soup.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cansdiced Italian-style tomatoes
- 1 (11 ounce) can tomato soup with basil, undiluted
- 4 cups water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can Italian cut green beans, drained
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 8 ounces rotini pasta, cooked and drained
- grated parmesan cheese
- Cook beef and onion in a large Dutch oven over medium heat, until beef is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain.
- Stir in carrots, and next 10 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- Stir in kidney beans and next 2 ingredients; simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- Stir in pasta; taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Sprinkle each serving with cheese.
This soup is much like the hearty vegetable soup my mother used to make, and she was Italian. We all loved it! I used a 1 lb. chuck blade steak, cut into small pieces, rather than ground beef. I left out the pasta this time, and it was still a fabulous recipe!
Thanks NurseDi, Another great recipe! It is full of flavor. I couldn't find the tomato soup with basil in it so I just used regular tomato soup. It had plenty of the basil flavor in it. Thanks for this wonderful recipe.
NurseDi, Thanks for a really GREAT soup. I picked a perfect night to give it a go, as it's been chilly with snow in the forecast.. The absolute ONLY thing I did different was add a few red potatoes I cubed really small, and only added those as I wanted to use them up. This has just the right amount of kick to it. And full of delicious goodness. I didn't think hubby would eat it, but he LOVED it. Told me to make sure I keep this one. Thansk for a wonderful "warm" soup recipe.