Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A traditional item on the Norwegian smorgasbord-type meal we always have on the 25th of December, which here, is called "First Day of Christmas", because the really big day here is Christmas Eve. Of course, you may prepare this wonderful (if you like herring) spread anytime at all!
- 1 (12 ounce) jar herring fillets, in wine sauce (or tidbits)
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped (save some thinly sliced rings for garnish)
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Drain the jar of herring filets (tidbits), and cut into 1/4 to 1/2-inch slices.
- After you have chopped the cucumber, leek and bell pepper,.
- mix everything together.
- Garnish with additional rings of leeks and cucumber slices.
- Serve with small slices of rye and/or pumpernickel bread.
Made this spread for Christmas eve snacks. I thought it was quite good, lots of flavour. It might be a "grow on ya" flavour cus guests tried it but did not go back to it It is quite a strong flavour, they did say they like it but they did not eat it. thanks for posting it, it was something new to try!