Recipe by MarieRynr
Hearty and warming-perfect for winter. You can use potatoes or sweet potatoes with the carrots instead of parsnips.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 lb parsnip, roughly chopped
- 3 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 celery ribs, thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 lb cooked ham, cut into chunks
- 1 (142 ml) carton double cream
- 3⁄4 pint vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons coarse grain mustard
- 1 (375 g) packetready rolled shortcrust pastry
- 1 little milk, for brushing
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375*F.
- Heat theoil in a large pan and cook the onion and garlic for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the parsnips and carrots and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add celery, sprinkle with flour, cook for a minute, mixing thoroughly.
- Add ham, then pour in the cream and the stock.
- Stir in mustard.
- Simmer for 5 minutes until thickened, then spoon into a 2 litre pie dish.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Use the pastry to cover the pie, cutting off any trimmings.
- Brush with milk.
- Cut out leaf shapes from the pastry trimmings and put on top of the pie.
- Brush with milk again and bake for 30 minutes until pastry is golden.