Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
An authentic guacamole recipe we learned from Guatemalan friends. We have been spoiled and will only eat guacamole with authentic fresh ingredients. Don't cheat when you make this recipe!
- 2 ripe but not mushy avocados, diced in large cubes
- 1 small tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped white onion
- fresh green chile, chopped. Use the amount you like
- 1⁄8 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, juice of
- Put avocados into bowl and mix with lime juice.
- Mix in other ingredients gently. Serve as soon as possible.
- You do not need salt with this unless you are one who cannot do without it.
- We use a couple jalapenos, but serrano or whatever juicy green chile you like should work fine.
- We eat this all year round and at least once a week. It's good for you! In hot weather we eat all of it between the two of us as a main course with tortillas or chips.
- My husband insists on having green onion in anything with onion, so I add this too, but it is not in the original recipe.
This recipe is quite close to one that I was given by a lady in Guatemala. Mine uses more tomato, seeds removed and coarsely chopped, in equal proportion to avocado. All ingredients EXCEPT avocado are prepared and blended first in large bowl. We also use green onions, or red onions for fuller but less harsh flavor. Lots of cilantro, lots of lime juice and also lime zest. Another friend of mine, also from Guatemala, says that the key to Guatemala Guacamole is the lime. Don't forget several cloves of garlic---I use at least three cloves of garlic for every avocado!