Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I love this guacamole. It's awesome. From America's Test Kitchen.
- 3 medium ripe avocados (preferably pebbly-skinned Hass)
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeno chile, stemmed,seeded,and minced
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Halve one avocado, remove pit, and scoop flesh into medium bowl.
- Mash flesh lightly with onion, garlic, chile, cilantro, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and cumin (if using) with tines of fork until just combined.
- Halve, pit, and cube remaining two avocados, following illustrations at right.
- Add cubes to bowl with mashed avocado mixture.
- Sprinkle lime juice over diced avocado and mix entire contents of bowl lightly with fork until combined but still chunky.
- Adjust seasonings with salt, if necessary, and serve.
- (Guacamole can be covered with plastic wrap, pressed directly onto surface of mixture, and refrigerated up to 1 day. Return guacamole to room temperature, removing plastic wrap at last moment, before serving.) To minimize the risk of discoloration, prepare the minced ingredients first so they are ready to mix with the avocados as soon as they are cut.
- Ripe avocados are essential here.
- To test for ripeness, try to flick the small stem off the end of the avocado.
- If it comes off easily and you can see green underneath it, the avocado is ripe.
- If it does not come off or if you see brown underneath after prying it off, the avocado is not ripe.
- If you like, garnish the guacamole with diced tomatoes and chopped cilantro just before serving.
This really hit the spot! I served this with tortilla chips and added parsley. The jalapeno gave it a nice bite! Thanks!