Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is almost like a nut brittle. From Food & Wine, December 2007.
- 2⁄3 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted roasted sunflower seeds
- 1⁄3 cup sesame seeds
- 1⁄3 cup flax seed
- plain low-fat yogurt, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 300F and position a rack in the center.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; spray the paper with vegetable oil spray.
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, oil and honey. Cook over low heat until just warmed through.
- In a large bowl, stir the honey mixture into the rest of the ingredients until evenly distributed.
- Spread the mixture on the prepared baking sheet and bake until golden, about 45 minutes.
- Transfer the baking sheet to a rack and let the granola cool.
- Invert the baking sheet onto a work surface and tap out the brittle. Peel off the parchment paper. Break the granola into chunks.
- Return it to the pan and cool on a wire rack. Serve with the yogurt.
- The granola can be stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days.