Recipe by K9 Owned
A blender is optional for this soup. I take 1/2 of the soup and puree it but leave the rest 'chunky'. As written it will all be chunky. :) This recipe was taken from a 1987 Canadian Living Cookbook. I have been making it ever since and to date I haven't made a gazpacho I like better. Cooking time is chilling time.
- 3 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- vegetable cocktail, works very well too
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, can sub vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste
- garlic-flavored croutons (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel, seed and chop tomatoes and cucumber.
- Place in a large bowl with garlic, green pepper and onion.
- Combine tomato juice, lemon juice and oil - pour over vegetables.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and hot sauce.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour - 2 or 3 is better.
- Garnish with garlic croutons just before serving.