Recipe by morelhunter
A great way to use all those fresh tomatoes. It can be frozen and reheated with great results.
Top Review by ColSanders
Can't believe I'm the first to review this recipe. We LOVE this recipe. It's an excellent way to use up some of those excess tomatos from the garden at the end of the season. I've made this several times. I usually leave out the sugar and flour and I substitute creole seasoning for the curry powder. I also add a few drops of red pepper sauce to spike up the flavor. When you make this, note that the salt and pepper amounts are a starting point, adjust seasonings after the soup is about done. Thanks for sharing morelhunter! Oops forgot the stars, you get 5. By the way, I use a couple of tablespoons of dark rue, that I keep on hand, to thicken the soup if I think it needs it.
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 1⁄2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 quart fresh tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the vegetables in the butter in a large heavy pan until tender.
- Add 4 c.
- broth, tomatoes, curry powder, salt, pepper and sugar; heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat, simmer for 20 min.
- Blend flour with remaining broth; stir gradually into soup.
- cook until slightly thickened.