Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This will keep covered tightly for up to 4 days ahead, make certain to add in the sugar at the end of cooking, it makes a difference in the texture of the applesauce, the complete recipe can be doubled and the applesauce can be cooled and frozen in 1/2 - 1 cup plastic containers, this applesauce freeze well, use it in cakes and muffin recipes to add moistness, or simply as a dessert, it's much better than the store-bought and much cheaper too!. We love this sprinkled with brown sugar on top!
- 6 -8 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (use Golden Delicious or McIntosh, about 3 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup water or 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 -6 tablespoons sugar (or to taste)
- 1 -2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large saucaepan over medium heat; add in apple slices, stir for 1-2 minutes until well coated with the butter.
- Add in water or apple juice, lemon juice and cinnamon (if using) cover and cook stirring occasionally until the apples are tender (about 20-25 minutes, if the apples become to dry then add in 1-2 tablespoons water or apple juice).
- Once the apples are tender, stir in 4-6 tablespoons sugar (can use more or less to taste) until dissolved.
- Chill covered in refrigerator or freeze.