Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a hearty clam chowder made with whole baby clams and lots and lots of veggies. Great on a cold winter day.
- 4 -5 cans baby clams, drain and reserve liquid
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced on a diagonal
- 2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 cup carrot, thinly sliced on a diagonal
- 1 sweet red pepper, deseeded and sliced into 1 x 1/4 sticks
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 cup snow peas, stem removed and cut in thirds on a diagonal
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ground black pepper
- paprika (optional)
- Put reserve liquid from the clams in a large skillet, add the chopped onion, celery, potatoes, and carrots and cook over medium heat until almost tender.
- Add the red pepper, green onions and snow peas.
- Cook until tender.
- If required add additional water to prevent from burning.
- While the veggies are cooking melt the butter in a large saucepan over low heat.
- Add the hot red pepper flakes and stir briefly.
- Remove from heat and stir in the flour until smooth.
- Add a few tablespoons of the milk and blend until lump free.
- Repeat with a few more tablespoons of milk.
- Add the remaining milk and return to heat.
- Stir constantly until thick and smooth.
- Should you have lumps that you can't get rid of, strain this mixture before proceeding.
- Add the veggies and any pan juices to the white sauce and stir to blend.
- Add the clams and cook over low heat until hot.
- Do not boil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
- If desired, sprinkle the top of each bowl of chowder with paprika.