This was featured on the Al Roker Show; it is a recipe from the Cake Mix Doctor. They are awesome!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup chunky peanut butter or 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup frozen grated unsweetened coconut (I omitted this) or 1 cup toasted sweetened flaked coconut (I omitted this)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped and toasted pecans (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 2Place a rack on center of the oven.
- 3Set aside an ungreased 13"x9" baking pan.
- 4Plcae the cake mix, peanut butter, melted butter and eggs in large mixing bowl.
- 5Blend with an electric mixer on low for 1 minute.
- 6Stop the machine and scarpe down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- 7The mixture will be thick.
- 8Reserve 1-1/2 cups for the topping.
- 9Transfer the remaining crust mixture to the pan.
- 10Using your fingertips, press crust evenly over the bottom of the pan so that it reaches all sides.
- 11Set aside.
- 12For the filling, place the chocolate chips, condensed milk and 2 tablespoons butter in a medium-sized heavy saucepan over low heat.
- 13Stir and cook until the chocolate is melted and the mxiture is well combined, 3-4 minutes.
- 14Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the coconut, vanilla and pecan pieces, until well distributed.
- 15Pour the chocolate mixture over the crust, and spread it evenly with the rubber spatula so that it reaches the sides of the pan.
- 16Using your fingertips, crumble the reserved crust and scatter it evenly over the chocolate.
- 17Place pan in the oven and bake until it is light brown, 25-30 minutes.
- 18Remove the pan from the oven and place it on wire rack to cool for 30 minutes.
- 19Cut into bars, and remove from pan with a metal spatula and serve.
- 21TIP: These bars can be stored in covered plastic wrap, at room temp for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to one week. Or freeze them, unwrapped in aluminum foil, for up to 6 mos. Thaw the bars overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chunky Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
Serving Size: 1 (42 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 48
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 194.0
- Calories from Fat 111
- Total Fat 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 18.2 mg
- Sodium 128.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 3.3 g