Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A PBS series recipe. Pati's Mexican Table
- 3 lbs red potatoes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 scallions
- 1 chipotle chili (taken from canned chipotle chilies and adobo sauce)
- 1 -2 tablespoon adobo sauce (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Rinse and quarter the potatoes. In a large pot, bring salted watr to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook for about 15 minutes over medium-high heat, or until thoroughly cooked and soft. Drain.
- In a large heavy skillet set over medium heat, add the chunks of butter. Once it melts and begins to bubble, stir in the scallions and cook for a couple of minutes until they soften. Add the chopped chipotle chile and combine well. Add the cooked potatoes along with the milk.
- Using a potato masher or a wooden spoon, mash the potatoes roughly as you mix them with the chipotle and scallion mixture. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Serve hot.