8 hrs 15 mins
This is an amazing chili recipe passed down from my family. I would suggest mixing up different chili powders and adding them at different times to the crock pot. Also experiment with making your own chili powder - Homemade Chili Powder - that's what I always use. I also use good lean quality steak instead of regular stew meat, but please feel free to customize however you want! This makes a HUGE batch, I normally cut it in half and still have plenty.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 teaspoons oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 lbs beef stew meat, cubed
- 3 lbs pork sausage, ground
- 2 (14 ounce) cans whole tomatoes (drained)
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 6 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 (14 ounce) cans baked beans (drained)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans kidney beans (drained)
- 1 (14 ounce) can pinto beans (drained)
- 12 ounces dark beer (such as a bock, stout or amber, something low in hops)
- 1Cube beef and marinate in beer and whatever spices you choose (chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper, etc.) for 4-24 hours. Alternately use a commercial marinade.
- 2Brown all the meats in a large pan or pot.
- 3Add 2 tablespoons chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, brown sugar, cocoa powder and onions to the meat and let cook 3-5 minute.
- 4Transfer to your crock pot and set to cook on low heat for 8-12 hours.
- 5Add remainder of chili powder in a couple intervals throughout the cooking.
- 6Add the beans during the last hour of cooking.
- 7Top with colby jack cheese, sour cream, cilantro and oyster crackers!
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chunky Chili
Serving Size: 1 (592 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1123.0
- Calories from Fat 652
- Total Fat 72.5 g
- Saturated Fat 26.0 g
- Cholesterol 239.1 mg
- Sodium 1895.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.6 g
- Sugars 14.7 g
- Protein 69.9 g