Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is an amazing chili recipe passed down from my family. I would suggest mixing up different chili powders and adding them at different times to the crock pot. Also experiment with making your own chili powder - Homemade Chili Powder - that's what I always use. I also use good lean quality steak instead of regular stew meat, but please feel free to customize however you want! This makes a HUGE batch, I normally cut it in half and still have plenty.
- 4 teaspoons oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 lbs beef stew meat, cubed
- 3 lbs pork sausage, ground
- 2 (14 ounce) cans whole tomatoes (drained)
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 6 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 (14 ounce) cans baked beans (drained)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans kidney beans (drained)
- 1 (14 ounce) can pinto beans (drained)
- 12 ounces dark beer (such as a bock, stout or amber, something low in hops)
- Cube beef and marinate in beer and whatever spices you choose (chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper, etc.) for 4-24 hours. Alternately use a commercial marinade.
- Brown all the meats in a large pan or pot.
- Add 2 tablespoons chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, brown sugar, cocoa powder and onions to the meat and let cook 3-5 minute.
- Transfer to your crock pot and set to cook on low heat for 8-12 hours.
- Add remainder of chili powder in a couple intervals throughout the cooking.
- Add the beans during the last hour of cooking.
- Top with colby jack cheese, sour cream, cilantro and oyster crackers!