Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is another great recipe I found in the New Dieter's Cookbook from Better Homes & Gardens. We had this for supper last night and enjoyed it very much. I substituted lean ground beef for the steak and it tasted wonderful. We like to garnish this with a dallop of light sour cream and some pico de gallo. If you like a little kick, you might try some Tobasco sauce like I do.
- 12 ounces beef top round steak, trimmed
- baked corn chips
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low-sodium tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- Thinly slice meat across the grain into bite-sized strips.
- In large non-stick skillet, brown meat with onion and garlic.
- Stir in kidney beans, tomatoes, water, chilis, basil, chili powder, bouillon, cumin, and black pepper. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 30 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Serve garnished with shredded cheese and crushed tortilla chips.