Recipe by HauteCook24
I adapted this recipe from Rachael Ray's cookbook, "30 Minute Meals". Originally, it's not spicy enough for me and too runny to be chili, so I changed it a bit. Great for leftovers for lunch- the spicyness will mellow overnight.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1 large yellow skinned Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 -2 serrano pepper, pepper(s) seeded and minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 5 dashes cayenne pepper sauce (i.e. Tabasco, Red Hot)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (14 ounce) can fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white kidney beans, drained
- coarse salt
- shredded cheddar cheese, and crushed tortilla chips for topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in pot over medium high heat.
- Add chicken and cook for five minutes or until white; keep chicken moving.
- Add minced onion & hot pepper(s), garlic, seasonings, and cilantro.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook for five minutes to sweeten and soften onion.
- Add the broth and beans; salt to taste.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until ready to serve.
- Top bowls of chili with shredded cheddar cheese and crushed tortilla chips.