Recipe by Julie B's Hive
From 'Tapas". Simply add a crusty loaf of bread and dinner's on the table. Posted for ZWT3.
Top Review by twswbs0405
This soup is our first post-holiday, vegetable-loaded, chicken soup. I have made before in the crock pot and my entire family loved it. I cooked on low all day and added the rice about 20 minutes before serving. This time, I made according to recipe on the stove top except I got a little carried away slicing carrots with one of my Christmas presents. I compensated for the additional carrots with a little more green bean (about 16 oz versus 10 oz), tossed in fresh spinach, doubled the basil, added a little more rice (3/4 cup versus 1/2), another 2 cups chicken broth, and a tad more garlic and about a teaspoon onion powder. It seems pretty thick but looks like pictures and has a nice flavor. I intend to let it sit overnight, and we will warm it up have it for both lunch and dinner tomorrow with salad. Sadly, not with bread!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup green pepper, cored, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low-sodium tomatoes, chopped, with their juice
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 4 1⁄2 cups carrots, peeled and sliced 1/2 in thick
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, s cut into 3/4 in cubes
- 1 (10 ounce) packed frozen green beans
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a stockpot or 5-quart Dutch oven, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the onion, green pepper, and garlic. Sauté until soft.
- Stir in tomatoes and juice, chicken stock, water, rice, and basil. Bring to a boil. Simmer gently, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add carrots and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, green beans, and olives. Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Add black pepper.